Tuesday, March 15, 2011

1.0.3 and working on 1.0.4

I decided to keep this blog just so I can look back on this one day and see what went into making this app.  It has turned out to be a LOT of work.   Yes,  I am making a major assumption that it *will* be successful and I will actually care about its life.

I have decided to force the people in my gym to use it by tying it to membership cost.   Use the program,  your membership remains cheap.  Consider it a war draft for beta testers :)

Anyway,  1.0.3 contained bug fixes that I encountered during initial rounds of testing with the help of some early feedback.  It was pushed out without requiring data migration or anything major.  I also purchased more compute power from Google to make the startup time much snappier.  No one likes to wait 10 seconds for their app to load.

At this time,  I decided that I would need to be able to work on multiple releases simultaneously.. one for 'production' bug fixes and one for the next version.  Funny, art imitates life  (i do this in my day job but never really thought i'd need it for a little project of my own).

In 1.0.4,  which I will probably rename to 1.1 when it finally releases, contains many new enhancements.

1)  I have merged the Find PR and Track Progress into one new page,  Show Training.  


2)  I have cleaned up the options a bit to allow for easier to understand filtering of results.  Here you can choose to see other lifters and further filter by things like PRs or dynamic work.


3). Oh yeah.  The most requested feature by far was the ability to track multiple sets.   




There was a rather significant rework of the datastore to handle multiple sets and logic to detect PRs.  I am still not comfortable with the sheer amount of permutations which can make up a PR.  e.g.   Box Squats w/Green Band,  Box Squats w/Green Band 3 reps,   Box Squats w/2 Green Bands  Safety Bar, etc, etc.   

I am thinking about the ability to allow users to create their own filters for this,  but this is at least another release down.

Right now,  I am trying to fix a few annoying issues,  one of which is the back button navigating you all the way back through every menu you went to.    In addition,  the Select lists for favorite lifters and favorite exercises seems to disappear at times.   I think I will rework this too.

Anyway, that is all for now.  ETA:  2 more days.


No comments:

Post a Comment